Beijing Urban Adventures
Day tours, with a local
From exploring the rich history of Beijing on a walking tour, to wandering the back streets of authentic local markets, to taking in the major tourist attractions like the Great Wall and Forbidden City, our Urban Adventures Beijing tours allow you to get up close and personal with our city, all with a local expert guide. This city is an explosion for your senses, a mix of cultures, and a city that we love and can't wait to share with you.
Setting foot in Beijing is like experiencing an ancient past and a yet to be reached future all at once. From the moment you touch down at the ultra modern new Beijing Capital Airport you can tell you are in a city on a mission to be noticed. It's a place that's embracing the very latest in technology and design (and certainly not afraid to experiment with architecture - just check out the CCTV tower, the National Centre for Performing Arts, The Birds's Nest Stadium and Water Cube!), while at the same time beginning to treasure its cultural heritage, such as the ancient hutong alleyways.
You'll meet the hip, young new middle class thronging the fashion malls and taking in cutting edge modern art at places like the 798 Art Factory whilst the elderly residents doing their morning tai chi in the Temple of Heaven Park won't be forgotten. Outside of Beijing is the incredible Great Wall just waiting to be hiked and villages where farmers offer their fresh produce at family restaurants, while in the very centre of the city is the immense Forbidden City, Tiananmen Square and markets selling anything you can imagine and many things you can't! You'll be tempted by spicy street food, Beijing Duck, dumplings and noodles and have a chance to while away the afternoon over green tea and mahjong or being pampered with a reflexology foot massage.
The locals of Beijing are proud to show off their city and all it has to offer, both the iconic sights and hidden gems on our unique Beijing tours. You'll not be stuck for choice but may find you need to come back again to experience more! And at the pace Beijing is growing and changing, by then there will no doubt be even more to see!
from 8 reviews
From USD 136.00
One of the greatest constructions in the world, the Great Wall of China is a hard act to follow, but this Beijing tour does its best by getting a head start on the crowds, providing a tasty local lunch, and keeping you on track and focused on the Wall and the Wall only.more...
from 4 reviews
From USD 73.00
See the historical icons that you can’t miss in this majestic capital. Blend in local’s morning exercise in Temple of Heaven Park. Feel standing in the symbolic power centre of China on Tian’anmen Square and reminisce the “no longer royals” in Forbidden City. this is Beijing 101 suitable for newbies and returning travellers.more...
Beijing by Bike
from 4 reviews
From USD 83.00
Be one of the estimated nine million bicyclists in China on this Beijing tour. Spin your wheels through the backstreets and hutongs, stopping for quirky hutong stories, a tasty local lunch, and a visit to a local community organisation.more...
Beijing Foodie Walk
from 3 reviews
From USD 33.00
Eating while walking…walking while eating…either way, it sounds like an ideal way to spend an evening in Beijing! Fill your tummy with all sorts of yummy foods from Beijing and beyond, and jump into the hustle and bustle of local market - all in an evening walk!more...
Place: Xi'an - [ 04/04/2015 ]
ghdfgBeijing 798 Art Festival
Place: 798 Art Zone - [ 18/09/2015 - 19/10/2015 ]
Beijing's annual Modern Art Festival.Beijing Marathon
Place: Beijing - [ 24/10/2015 ]
2010 was the 30th Beijing Marathon. This event is normally held in October every year.more events...
Beijing Visa Free Stopovers
more... more stories...
19 Mar 2015 Kevin is a great local guide, friendly, approachable and trustworthy. Everything you want when you are a solo traveller in a new city. Had the Great Wall to myself for a few hours in the early morning before all the big bus tours arrived in. This is the tour to pick! Local lunch was also great! Loved the fact that I tobogganed down the Great Wall of China!
24 Aug 2014 Kevin readily adapted the trip to what I already had experienced in Beijing at earlier visits
18 Jul 2014 This was absolutely excellent. Our great guide Michelle took its to the local market where we bought ingredients to make Chinese dumplings, and admired weird and wonderful food. We then visited a lady who lived in a tiny apartment in the Hutong and she showed us how to make dumplings. we did a lot of laughing and managed to mangle and make dozens of dumplings which our host then showed us how to cook. Then we ate. great fun, very educational and we thoroughly recommend it.
14 May 2014 Dennis is an excellent guide and I really enjoyed my day.
11 Nov 2013 Michelle was excellent. Gourmet tour was the highlight of our trip. Enjoyed by parents and teenager as well. The entire group was fun and Michelle honestly enjoyed giving the tour. A good introduction to the street food we would face the rest of the week. The only disappointment was the "dumpling making." We didn't really make anything....just ate some at a local home.
22 Jul 2013 Lilly my guide was lovely, i had a wonderful experience trying out some local food in beijing. I saw and learnt about some of the real Beijing.
15 Jul 2013 I booked 3 tours with urban adventures in Beijing: The bike tour, The great wall tour and the Beijing gourmet tour. All of them were lots of fun and very informative. My tour guides Casper and Linda were both fabulous and so much fun to hang out with. Overall it was an amazing experience and in the few days I stayed in Beijing, I got to take in a lot that city had to offer.
23 Jun 2013 Had a great time with Feng even though my bicycle skills and traffic management were dodgy. Maybe a better meeting place as we got confused by 2 similarly named hotels near each other.
05 May 2013 Casper was a great guide. Really enjoyed seeing the sights around Beijing with her and would definitely recommend urban adventures for its day tour options. Thanks!
20 Apr 2013 My guide Jerry was great and the day was one of the best things I did in my time in Beijing. Thanks!
Beijing Urban Adventures unlock the secrets of the capital of the most populous country on earth. Join us on a Beijing tour to get under the ancient skin of this rapidly developing city, experience local life and customs and be amazed by the food and vibrant culture of today's China.
Feels like: 14°C
Clear. Refreshingly cool.
Sign up now and get $10 off your next tour!
At Urban Adventures, we firmly believe local travel is one of the best ways we can support responsible tourism. In fact, we believe it so strongly that we’ve made it our entire business! All our tours are run by local experts, not some faceless corporate team located halfway around the world with no sense of the local vibe.
We craft our tours to ensure every traveller has authentic interactions with local people, businesses, transportation, and food and drink. Local travel gives you the opportunity to experience a destination as locals do, and has the potential to impact you in ways you never imagined. In short: local is awesome.
As a responsible travel company, we promise to:
- Use locally owned infrastructure on our tours whenever possible.
- Spread the financial benefits amongst local people and operators.
- Provide employment and leadership opportunities for local people.
- Respect local customs and culture.
- Provide safe tours for Urban Adventure partners, staff, and travellers.
- Educate travellers and our partners about how and why we choose to travel this way.
- Limit any negative impact to the daily lifestyles of local people.
- Limit any physical impact on natural and cultural environments.
- Provide support to organisations and local communities.
- Provide opportunities for travellers to interact with local people.
- Actively ban partners, staff, and passenger participation in or endorsement of commercial sexual activities or illegal drug use on Urban Adventures tours.
- Work to prevent the exploitation of children in tourism.
- Actively discourage participation in activities that exploit animals.
- Use local partners that adhere to Urban Adventures' responsible travel principles.
- Support and encourage fair employment practices.
- Give our travellers the best possible value.
- Have fun!
As a traveller, we ask that you keep the following in mind:
- People: Be mindful of the local citizens, and seek understanding through shared experiences. Consider their customs and values while in their homeland, and when in doubt, ask your guide for advice.
- Environment: Be mindful of the local environment, and act with conservation and sustainability in mind. Follow local guidelines, as recommended by your guide, and make proactive decisions on your own.
- Culture: When travelling to other cultures, remember that not everyone's customs are the same as yours at home. Be respectful, and be mindful of openly questioning a customary practice, even if you disagree with it. Try to understand from their perspective. You may learn something! Your guide will be an excellent point of reference here, so check with them if you're unsure.
- Economy: Make every effort to use local businesses and put your tourism dollars in the right (local) pocket. We use local vendors and businesses, and your guide will be able to advise you on the best ways to support the local economy.